Thursday, April 18, 2013

My FIRST CAS-ual Affair

It sounded remedial.

"Clean and Simple Cardmaking".

I dismissed the technique (or lack, thereof, I thought) because anyone could do it! I mean, it was merely a minimalist approach to cardmaking! Where was the bling? The diecuts? The color?

I WANTED MY GLITTER, &%$#&^!!!

So, I ignored it. Until my first cardmaking class. You can guess what it was called, right?

The first card consisted of two ink colors and two stamps and one piece of colored mat. Oh, and two rhinestones.

All I had to do was stamp an image three times in one color ink. I couldn't even get that far before chucking the entire thing. Clean and Simple, I discovered, became Convoluted and Stressful.

You see, when messing around with Mixed Media or just intermixing stamps, diecuts and embossing powder, you have the ability to pile on crap until it looks right...or messy enough that most people will think you're a wunderkind and consider you fabulous.

Clean and simple leaves you nowhere to hide. I kind of like that. I kind of hate it, too. I'm also a little scared of it.

Good Lord...can I make a metaphor out of anything, or what?

Here goes...Clean and Simple 1.

http://cas-ualfridays.blogspot.com/2013/04/cfc98.html





And your media moment for today? Let's go with the first thing that came to mind when I said the words Clean and Simple...






4 comments:

  1. Congrats on your first CAS-ual affair! We are glad to have you! Your card is adorable and you really cracked me up with your "Convoluted and Stressful"! Thanks so much for playing along with us this week at CAS-ual Fridays! I hope you'll join us again!

    p.s. Thanks for the tunes of my youth while I visited! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angie,

    You are the FIRST to comment-EVAH-on my little online ego booster!! I'm so thrilled that I feel I want to give you a prize for that. I plan to go shopping here at work in the office supplies area right now....SOMEONE is going to receive a cadre of pens, legal pads and...as a bonus...a staple remover! One of the only office supplies with multiple uses...it can be used as a nail cleaner and card punch!!! Can I get a 'Woot Woot'!!!

    PS: You made my day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. great card!! thanks for playing along with us at CAS-ual Fridays! ps, CAS isn't supposed to be stressful!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. AJ-Thanks so much! I'm finding that cardmaking runs the gamut of emotions. I can start out excited for a project, then go to frustrated, angry, exhilarated after finding a fix and back to excited over one card! Do you not get that way? Don't tell me I'm the ONLY person who gets emotional over this!But then again, nothing is worth doing, in my opinion, unless it pushes me to be better. CAS is NOT easy...at least not for me. Is it supposed to be? I actually love it but taking this hobby and creating something that doesn't have tons of ink, glitter, etc. isn't simple. You're forced to take an idea and strip it down to its bare bones and IF that idea can STILL make its point and hold the interest of the intended, then it becomes CAS worthy. The 'Girl Friday's' are the best in the business. I couldn't believe they packed so much WOW into so little! Sorry for the diatribe...I'm just passionate about doing this and I hope it shows. :)

    ReplyDelete