Thursday, August 7, 2014

DTGD at Splitcoast Part 3

Once a year, Splitcoast Stampers (SCS) has a challenge week for members. During that week, beginning at 9am for 6 days in a row, the SCS 'Dirty Dozen' (the SCS current design team and former Dirty Dozen Girls) post anywhere from 7 to 8 challenges a day.

You would be surprised to learn that there are actually quite a few members who finish all the challenges and receive the title of 'Challenge Queen'.

You would NOT be surprised that Yours Truly is NOT in the running for that title.

The main reason this title is out of my reach is due to the fact I've gotta go 'BIG' or go home. I can't just do something simple and move on.

Anyway, I'm going to post some of my work to date. We aren't allowed to reveal the specifics of the challenge, so I'm just going to post what I posted for each pic at SCS. Here we go!



Create your own Fabric!

What You'll Need-
Sticky Back Canvas (I used Rangers)
Stamp with fairly large areas to color
Distress Inks
Archival Ink
Blending Tools
Mister
Paint brush

1-Cut canvas to 2-3/4 x 3-1/2. Throughout the entire process, I left the paper backing on the canvas. I only took it off at the end, when I finished and was dry and ready to mat it on black cardstock. The canvas will also tear easily. At the end, I used my craft pick to pull a few threads from the sides to fray it just a bit.

2-Using 2-3 inks, take your blending tools and, in a circular motion, begin layering your background.Take your first color and randomly ink the background, leaving blank areas for additional colors as you go along. I dabbed my blending tools directly on the inkpad before using on the dry canvas. Here, I used Salty Ocean and Squeezed Lemonade

3-Stamp images in your preferred choice of Archival Ink. Here, I used black Archival Ink and my stamp is Penny Black's Botanial Notes

4-Take your paintbrush and mist once with water. Careful not to get it too wet, and don't get any water on your canvas. Rinse your brush well between colors but keep brush on the slightly damp-not wet-side. You can lift the ink with your brush directly from the ink pad. Paint your image completely. Keep loading your image up with color. The more the better. Distress Inks dry lighter and you will be using a mister later, so don't hold back!

5-When your image is completed, take your mini-mister and mist once or twice. The colors will start to run. As soon as they begin to bleed outside the lines, use your heat gun to begin quickly drying it.

**It took me a couple of tries to get the effect I liked! I have what I call the 'Rule of 3'. That means, it takes at LEAST 3 tries of something new for me to get a feel for it and figure out how I want it to look. Don't ever think ANYONE sits down and gets it right the 1st time! If it bleeds too much or you don't like the end result, toss it in your stash and start over. I used to think everyone else could create something fabulous the minute they sat down. HAH! So, take your time and tell yourself that you are LEARNING. Do NOT get discouraged! And PLEASE send me a note if you need help or have a question! Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming :)**

6-If you're happy with your coloring and want to mat, then great! But, you can always use archival ink and stamp a background-such as words or filigrees or whatever you think is pretty. Also, you can use a fine tipped black marker to trace the lines of your stamp if they seem too faint. I did exactly that to my flower and butterfly.

There you go! It's EASY and what you create is completely YOURS! There's no duplication with this project! I just love it when things come together! Don't you? ;)

I saw a tut on how to watercolor on canvas but it didn't work for me at ALL. And I mean 3 TIMES it didn't work. I'm sure it was totally me because the tut was great and you can find it here http://ellenhutson.typepad.com/the_c...-stainton.html So, I changed it up and figured out how to get it to work for me. I sponged Salty Ocean and Squeezed Lemonade on the canvas. Then stamped in archival ink. With a dry waterbrush dipped sparingly in ink, I colored everything. Then, when it was all done, I lightly spritzed it with water and as soon as the colors started to bleed, I pounced on it with the dryer. I don't know why I couldn't make it work the other way, but I'm pleased with this result!
Remember when I said that, during DTGD, I was pushing myself to try different things that I don't use much? Like doing this image in prismacolor and blending with gamsol and *%&^* LAYERING. GRRRRR. I've heard a lot about those Perfect Layers rulers and the only reason I haven't gotten any is due to having to use craft knives. I don't know if my using a craft knife to create layers is all about "making the right choices". But maybe later.

As always, I like to share things I learn as I go about my life. Today, I learned that if you're talking to your close friend about using the pencils and gamsol, and that friend happens to be a native of Jamaica, you probably shouldn't refer to your blending stumps as 'blunts'. Apparently, 'using blunts' has a TOTALLY different meaning there.

Hope this helps...



Altoid Can photo album

I've been dying to make these cute little note cards I found on Amber's blog. Today ended up being the perfect day!! Here's the link and TY Dina! http://www.damasklove.com/easy-like-sunday-morning-7/
I haven't tried a frame like this in awhile. Last time was the first of April for an IO challenge (blog entry here) http://papercraftgoddess.blogspot.co...nge-green.html Flowers from rubbernecker in watercolor

Reflection in watercolor






No comments:

Post a Comment